Jeonbuk reclaim form and it’s all level at the bottom as the league heads into the summer break

Aaaand we’re back! For the last time before the World Cup. The K League will now take a break until after the festivities in Russia are done. But enough about that, let’s get into the weekend’s action.

It’s status quo at the bottom

The first match of this round saw the two G’s, Gyeongnam and Gangwon, fight it out. And it was the visitors who came out on top as Uros Deric only needed 15 minutes to score after being subbed on at half-time. Gangwon now climb into the top half while Gyeongnam stay fourth.

At the bottom, Daegu took on Jeonnam Dragons and as we mentioned in the preview, this could almost be a relegation decider. Not much happened. At all really. And then Heo Yong-joon popped up with twelve minutes to go to give Jeonnam the lead and it was misery all around for Daegu. But they refused to die and deep into extra-time substitute Park Han-bin equalised for Daegu to give them one very vital point.

Yesterday the other relegation-threatened team Incheon hosted Ulsan Hyundai and like their friend below them in the table, they made it overly dramatic. Another late goal for the team higher up the table, this time courtesy of Mislav Orsic, after 76 minutes, meant that it looked difficult for Incheon. But like Daegu, Incheon refused to die easily and five (!) minutes into the added-time Lim Eun-soo equalised for Incheon.

That means it’s still all level at the bottom with neither Incheon nor Daegu managing to get an advantage.

Stalemate in the battle for third

Jeju United and Sangju Sangmu, alongside Gyeongnam, are the three most obvious candidates to take the third place this season and the two first-teams played each other yesterday. That wasn’t as fun a match as it could have been and it ended in a drab 0-0 draw, which is obviously better for Jeju than Sangju, but not the end of the world for the military side either.

Jeonbuk return to normal as Suwon stumble again

Much like in the Champions League last week, it’s back to business as usual for Jeonbuk Hyundai Motors as they took a comfortable 4-0 win over FC Seoul. Lee Jae-sung opened the scoring just after the hour-mark and when Shin Jin-jo got himself sent off, it was game over for Seoul. Kwak Tae-hwi poured some salt into his team’s wound by scoring an own-goal after 82 minutes, before Lum Sun-young and super veteran Lee Dong-gook finished it all off for Jeonbuk.

As for Suwon Samsung Bluewings they had to struggle against Pohang Steelers. Dejan Damjanovic put Suwon ahead after 72 minutes but just three minutes later Leo Gamalho equalised for Pohang. And that was all she wrote. A draw isn’t good enough for Suwon in the situation they find themselves in and they are now nine points behind Jeonbuk.

That is all for this time and as mentioned at the top of this article, the K League will now take a break for the summer and the World Cup and be back on July 7th. I assume they don’t think South Korea will go very far as there is a heavy influence of K League players in the squad. The quarter-finals, which South Korea have an outside shot at making it to, will be held on the 6th and 7th of July.