The most anticipated game of the weekend was called off due to the Typhon that was set to make landfall at Shanghai on Saturday, but nevertheless, there’s lots of football to talk about in the Chinese Super League as Beijing Guoan extended their lead at the top. Let’s get right into it!

With half the trailing pack out of action, Beijing Guoan had a really great chance to increase their lead at the top of the table when they welcomed Tianjin Quanjian. Three goals in a 17 minute stretch on either side of half-time saw the league leaders Beijing Guoan get a deserved 3-0 lead with just under 35 minutes left to play. Renato Augusto found the net as did Cedric Bakambu and Dabao Yu. But after the third, complacency set in the Beijing ranks and they took the foot off the pedal. Tianjin Quanjian tried to find a way back into the game and nearly stole all a draw but failed just short. Two goals from Alexandre Pato and Xu Yang set up a grandstand finish. But a dramatic equaliser wasn’t there to be had for Quanjian and Beijing, arguably deservedly, secured all three points and extended their lead at the top of the pile.

Nearest rivals Shandong Luneng had to come from behind to beat Changchun Yatai after going a goal down to Odion Ighalo’s ninth goal of the season. But goals in the second half from Italian Graziano Pelle and Nemanja Pejcinovic’s inadvertent own goal saw Shandong move up to second place, three points behind Beijing Guoan.

A brace from Alan Kardec pushed Chongqing Lifan to their first League victory in six games and snapped a seven-game losing streak in all competitions. Jianking Hui briefly equalised for Tianjin TEDA and all their possession in the dying stages of the second half counted for nothing Lifan rode their luck more than a few times to finally secure three points and ease relegation fears.

Dalian Yifang’s mini-resurrection was cut short in its crib as they crashed to a 3-1 defeat in the matchup between the two promoted teams from last season. The win for Rehne was their second in three games and pushed them up to 7th place in the table. It wasn’t smooth sailing for Rehne as the result wasn’t secure until the 90th minute when Makhete Diop scored a penalty just five minutes after teammate Masika scored to give Rehne the lead. It was a nerve-wracking game after Yifang thought they would escape with a draw after equalising in squeaky bum time.

Guangzhou R&F had to rely on Junior Urso popping up at the right place at the right time to save their skins against rock-bottom Guizhou. Former Everton and Hull City man Nikicia Jelavic opened the scoring five minutes from halftime for the basement club before Urso equalised with literally just seconds left to play and denied Guizhou the second win of their season. Their tough rut of form continues.

When Henan Jianye and Shanghai Shenhua clashed, one could be forgiven for likening the game to a boxing game when the boxers hit one and then defend one. Both sides traded spells of domination in the opponents half during the course of the game. Shanghai took the lead twice only to be pegged back by their opponents twice.

In the final game of the season, Heibei China played out a goalless draw against Jiangsu Suning.